Saturday, June 7, 2008

The 5 C's To Creating Successful Business Relationships

In my business, as in any business, there are fundamentals to success. In theory, fundamentals are quite simple. Because we are all human, we tend to make some things a bit more technical than necessary. Keep things simple.

Over the course of a lifetime, one can meet many people and in a given week, meet people who could potentially serve as a valuable resource in business and in life. The keyword here is “potentially.” Make the most of the people you meet and truly maximize the potential of that relationship and its role in your life using the five C’s to building key relationships.

In another lifetime, I worked with a very influential gentleman by the name of Tony Robbins. I lived in 25 cities over a five year period, which gave me plenty of time to master the 5 C’s; in fact, I mastered one per year (slow learner). I learned a few specific things while being on the road and one specifically, was how to produce extreme results in a very short period of time. I had to find ways to learn large amounts of information and have that information sound second nature and not scripted. The keyword is “learned,” not “memorized.”

1. CONNECTION
Making the initial contact and introduction can be a tumultuous process. I cannot help but make mention of one of my very intelligent clients, Graham Kahr, a well-known editorial director of a high-end publication. Graham has an outcome with everyone he connects with and it keeps any guesswork out of the connection process for him. He is in a fast-paced business, but the last thing he wants to do is lack sincerity. He puts himself in check before every phone call made. He asks himself what his outcome is. Keep in mind I said “outcome,” which can be as simple as getting a name or contact information. The key to connection is finding a sincere reason to pick up the phone or walk up to someone introduce yourself.

2. COMPLIMENT
Create a reason to be nice and give someone a compliment without planning on personal gain. You don’t need an agenda to show praise to those around you.

3. CREATE CONTACTS WITH AN INTENTION
In seminars, I love to ask the audience if they have ever come in contact with a taker - a taker of energy, a taker of dreams, or spirit. I learned a long time ago that we are not able to feel a certain way or cast blame on someone else unless we give consent for someone to make us feel a certain way. This is why the third “C” is so crucial. Creating contacts with the desire to contribute and give will attract the very best of people in your life. The takers will attract the takers and the givers will attract the givers. One of my clients, Olya Banchik, owns a high-end concierge dental practice and has a philosophy that she lives by - give to those who appreciate and find value in the power of giving. She has learned that this comes back twenty-fold. We attract who we are and this could not be more accurate in business.

4. COMFORT ZONE AND COMING OUT
Take the leap of faith. You have a product or service that is worth telling the world about, so go tell the world about it. Track those whom you know you want to connect with and meet up with them. I like to write out the top 20 things I’m uncomfortable with. These are the people that I may not know yet or I’m about to get to know. I’m ¾ through my list and I have to add more names to it. Quite frankly, this adds spice to life and pushes us in ways that are very powerful in order for us to grow at the highest level.

5. CONNECT IN THE FUTURE
Schedule the next appointment, only if you want to. How many times have you scheduled an appointment with someone that you knew there was absolutely no connection? The ball is in your court.

No comments: